Suddenly, it seems VCs are giving a lot of love to online design/presentation/storytelling startups. Just witness these in the last month:
– Animoto: The online video slideshow compilation service got $4.4 million from Madrona Venture Group and *Amazon*, among others.
– ThisMoment: The online photo album/timeline service by former Yahoo-er Vince Broady, which launched last month with $3 million in seed funding from some familiar digital media names like Shelby Bonnie, Mika Salmi, and Jason Hirschhorn.
– Typekit, a much-watched online fonts startup, received $700K from the likes of Twitter co-founder Evan Williams, Flickr creator Caterina Fake, and Matt Mullenweg, the force behind WordPress and Automattic, among others.
– Prezi, an online presentation tool, announced this morning that it got funding from Scandinavian VC firm Sunstone Capital and added Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey as an advisor.
– SlideRocket, another startup that helps create online presentations, just announced $5 million in funding led by Azure Capital Partners with Hummer Winblad Venture Partners.
Here’s what Upendra Shardanand, CEO of Daylife, a site known for its design and presentation, had to say about the trend: “Perhaps it