What’s that ancient saying: Another day, another mobile VoIP client? That’s what it seems like these days, as everyone is creating, branding and selling mobile voice services over Wi-Fi. OK, the carriers are a notable exception to this group, but that’s sure to change over time. While we wait for them to catch up, Vopium today announced its client for Android (PDF) devices. Voice calls are only free to other Vopium clients, however, which is a big sticking point for me, because prices can add up fairly quickly once you leave the network. Vopium only charges 3 cents per minute to any mobile or landline calls within the U.S. — not bad, but if you’re already paying for an unlimited voice plan and keep calls within your home country, you probably don’t need this service. On the other hand, you could save a bundle on international calls; Vopium offers a simple price check on its web site here.
The Android client joins the previously existing support for iPhone, BlackBerry, Symbian S60 and hundreds of other devices that support Java. Out of curiosity: How many folks are using their phones for calling over Wi-Fi, and which clients on what platforms are you using?
Vopium adds Android to its portfolio of applications
Vopium brings cheap, high quality calls to the G1 and HTC Magic™
Copenhagen and London, 18 May, 2009 – Vopium, the leading international mobile communications company, has today launched its award winning mobile VoIP application on the Android Market. The application follows the recent launch of Vopium on the iPhone App StoreSM and BlackBerry App World™ and cements Vopium’s commitment to offering mobile users worldwide a cheaper, high quality international communications channel.
To download the application, users simply search for Vopium in the Android Market. Once downloaded, Vopium seamlessly integrates with the address book and intelligently recognises international numbers, automatically re-routing calls via the Vopium gateway. Using 3G, GSM, and GPRS networks, Vopium ensures that all international calls are made using the cheapest method available while also preserving the highest level of call quality. Users who download and register Vopium from Android Market will receive 30 minutes of free calls and 30 free text messages (SMS).
Vopium CEO, Tanveer Sharif said “Vopium on Android adds another string to our bow and means that even more people across the world can now easily make cheaper international calls whilst also enjoying the same high call quality they are used to experiencing through their operators.”
Vopium: The Key Facts
- Vopium is compatible with more than 500 handsets across Java, Symbian, BlackBerry RIM, and Windows Mobile, as well as offering complete applications for the iPhone App StoreSM , BlackBerry App World™ and Android Market
- Vopium is free to download at www.vopium.com
- Vopium re-routes international calls as a local call to a Vopium gateway and then via global traffic carriers as ordinary voice traffic in order to ensure voice quality
- All new users are given 30 minutes of talk time and 30 international SMS for free
- Calling internationally with Vopium can result in up to 90 percent savings versus traditional carrier rates; for an overview of current pricing, visit: http://vopium.com/tariff
- Calls made through Vopium are always routed using the cheapest method while preserving the highest quality
- Vopium Wi-Fi users can call each other around the world for free
- Vopium users keep their own mobile number and SIM card, and maintain their numeric identity when making calls
- When a user calls from their home country, a local rate may be applied by their operator
- When calling from abroad a roaming charge will be applied by the subscriber’s operator
- Wi-Fi calls made with Vopium will not incur additional charges from a subscriber’s operator
Vopium is a carrier-grade mobile telephony service designed to offer affordable and reliable international calls from any mobile handset. By using the Vopium application on their mobile to make calls from their home country, consumers and businesses alike can save up to 90% on international mobile and land-line calls. Unlike more restrictive mobile VoIP solutions, Vopium supports hundreds of handsets across Java, Symbian, RIM, Windows Mobile and iPhone. Vopium uses intelligent routing and connection technology which automatically and seamlessly delivers the lowest cost connection for any international call. Vopium has offices in London, Copenhagen, Luxembourg and Pakistan. Vopium was recently awarded the Frost & Sullivan Technology Innovation Award. Vopium is listed on NYSE Euronext (MVLOP). To learn more, visit www.vopium.com