Don’t you wish there were an easier way to quickly view upcoming appointments and your task list? If you’re a fan of Google products, then follow these steps for an easy-to-use solution. In the end you will have two new items in your menu bar: one for Google Calendar and one for Google Tasks.
What You Need
1. Fluid – This allows you to create applications from web sites. In our case we will be creating a Google Calendar application, and a Google Tasks application.
3. Tasks icon
4. 10 minutes
1. Download Fluid.
2. Open Fluid.app.
3. The first app we’ll create is for Google Calendar. Let’s use “Calendar” for the name.
4. The URL for Google Calendar is google.com/calendar/m.
Note: For Google Apps users it’s google.com/calendar/hosted/[your domain name]/m.
5. The dock or menu bar icon for this application can either be Google Calendar’s favicon, the tiny icon that appears in the address bar of your browser when you visit the site, or something a little fancier, like what I suggested above. To use the fancy icon select “Other” from the Icon menu, and locate the newly downloaded icon on your hard drive.
6. Click Create.
7. After a few seconds you’ll have the option to Launch. Go ahead. Don’t be afraid.
8. The window that appears is a web browser that will automatically open to Google Calendar. Log in (if necessary).
9. Go to the Calendar menu and hover over User Agent. Select “Mobile Safari 1.1.3 – iPhone”.
10. Go to the File menu and select Close Window.
11. Go to the File menu and select New Window.
12. Go to the Calendar menu and select “Convert to MenuExtra SSB…” Click OK in the warning window and you’ll have a new item in the menu bar: a tiny calendar icon. Click on it to see the mobile version of your Google Calendar. You can drag the lower-left corner to resize the window.
Repeat for Google Tasks
For Google Tasks, follow the same steps (you obviously don’t have to download Fluid again). The URL you will use is gmail.com/tasks.
Note: For Google Apps users it’s mail.google.com/tasks/a/[your domain name].
Tasks will not properly load until you perform step 9 and set the User Agent to “Other”. Enter the following text into the window:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20
You’re done! Now you can quickly and easily view upcoming appointments and manage your tasks list.
If you have any questions leave a comment. Good luck getting organized!