8 Comments

Summary:

Tomorrow begins the trial for the four former and current Google executives charged with defamation and privacy violations over Google Video hosting a cellphone video of a disabled teenager being taunted and hit that was uploaded by one of his tormenters. While the bullies have already […]

Tomorrow begins the trial for the four former and current Google executives charged with defamation and privacy violations over Google Video hosting a cellphone video of a disabled teenager being taunted and hit that was uploaded by one of his tormenters. While the bullies have already been punished, the Google employees could face up to 36 months of jail time for allowing the video to be hosted, according to reports.

Google told the New York Times that the employees on trial are David Drummond, Google’s senior vice president and chief legal officer; George Reyes, its former chief financial officer; and Peter Fleischer, Google’s global privacy counsel; and an executive from the Google Video team in London. Fleischer is reportedly appearing in court tomorrow; Google declined to comment on whether the others would be appearing as well.

The trial had been expected for a while now, but it’s still shocking. The International Association of Privacy Professionals said this is thought to be the “first criminal sanction ever pursued against a privacy professional for his company’s actions.”

The EU and Italy have legislation similar to the U.S. DMCA that protects Internet service providers from legal claims against third-party uploads, so long as providers take down offensive content when someone complains. Though the video in question was uploaded on Sept. 8, 2006, Google did not receive complaints about it until Nov. 6, 2006, and after that the site removed the video within 24 hours.

Fleischer was reportedly brought to a deposition in January by law enforcement officials who confronted him at a speaking engagement in Milan.

Google emailed us a statement and declined to comment further:

As we have repeatedly made clear our hearts go out to the victim and his family. We are pleased that as a result of our co-operation the bullies in the video have been identified and punished. However, we feel that bringing this case to court is totally wrong. It’s akin to prosecuting mail service employees for hate speech letters sent in the post. What’s more, seeking to hold neutral platforms liable for content posted on them is a direct attack on a free, open internet. We will continue to vigorously defend our employees in this prosecution.

You’re subscribed! If you like, you can update your settings

  1. Google Executives Facing Criminal Charges and Jail Time Tuesday, February 3, 2009

    [...] Blogoscoped, paidContent.org, Between the Lines, eWeek, Mashable!, Liquidmatrix Security Digest, NewTeeVee, GigaLaw.com Daily [...]

  2. Contentinople – Erin Barker – News Bits: Google Execs on Trial Over Bully Video Tuesday, February 3, 2009

    [...] released a statement expressing sympathy for the victim and his family, but compared the lawsuit to "prosecuting mail [...]

  3. Will the Mafia Spark an Italian Ban on YouTube? « NewTeeVee Wednesday, February 11, 2009

    [...] of legal activity for YouTube and parent company Google. Four former and current Google executives are on trial there over an online video depicting the bullying of a disabled teenager. And the Italian [...]

  4. Vid-Biz: Google, DTV, Redbox « NewTeeVee Thursday, February 19, 2009

    [...] Vid-Biz: Google, DTV, Redbox Italian Judge Gives Google Case the Green Light; suit against Google over a video of a disabled teen being bullied not thrown out; next step is a procedural hearing on March 17. (USA Today) See our previous coverage. [...]

  5. Vid-Biz: Google, DTV, Redbox | Viral Video Maker Thursday, February 19, 2009

    [...] Italian Judge Gives Google Case the Green Light; suit against Google over a video of a disabled teen being bullied not thrown out; next step is a procedural hearing on March 17. (USA Today) See our previous coverage. [...]

  6. Italian Prosecutors Said to Be Seeking Jail Time for Google Execs Wednesday, November 25, 2009

    [...] Italian Prosecutors Said to Be Seeking Jail Time for Google Execs Prosecutors in Milan are asking for one-year jail sentences for two Google execs and its former CFO should they be found guilty of defamation and privacy violations, reports Bloomberg. The charges stem from a 2006 cellphone video Google hosted that showed a disabled teenager being taunted by bullies at a school in Turin. For more background, read our previous coverage. [...]

  7. YouTube Loses Copyright Case in Italian Court Thursday, December 17, 2009

    [...] and YouTube have had with the Italian legal system. Earlier this year, Google executives were taken to court over a 2006 cell phone video that a user had uploaded to the site, which showed a teenager being [...]

  8. Google Execs Found Guilty of Violating Italian Privacy Laws Wednesday, February 24, 2010

    [...] global privacy counsel; and Arvind Desikan, an executive from the Google Video team in London were called to trial and charged with defamation and invasion of privacy violations for hosting the video. And [...]

Comments have been disabled for this post