3 Comments

Summary:

Nielsen released new online video facts and figures today, among them the top video sites for October, corrected figures from September, and data that shows more people watch online video during the week than on the weekends. The number of unique online video viewers fell 3 […]

Nielsen released new online video facts and figures today, among them the top video sites for October, corrected figures from September, and data that shows more people watch online video during the week than on the weekends.

The number of unique online video viewers fell 3 percent to just shy of 121 million in October from 124 million in September. However, the total number of streams grew 1 percent to 8.894 millionbillion, streams per viewer rose 4 percent to 73.7, and the time spent per viewer surged 10 percent — to almost 172 minutes — during that same time frame.

nielsen_overall_oct2

These numbers include the following footnote: “**September time per viewer results have been updated since their original release, reflecting a change in methodology. Other September metrics have been updated to reflect the removal of video advertising streams from September Yahoo! results.” But we’ll come back to that in a second.

Hulu ranks third in Nielsen’s top online brands by video streams, with more than 206 million streams and 9 million unique viewers. Unlike comScore (which had Hulu at sixth), Nielsen is separating out Viacom sites by brand (i.e. Nickelodeon and MTV).

nielsen_oct

As noted above, Nielsen said that it updated its original September stats to account for a change in methodology and the removal of video advertising streams from Yahoo’s results. This change in Yahoo’s numbers literally knocked them down a peg in the revised September rankings. Nielsen originally had Yahoo ranked at No. 2 in video streams, with more than 264 million streams, but that number was adjusted down to 212 million streams, taking Yahoo to third place, behind YouTube and Fox Interactive Media.

nieslen_sept_revised2

We’ve known for quite a while that work time is the new prime time, as people sitting in front of computers for eight hours a day are spending some of it watching video. According to Nielsen, 65 percent of online video viewers stream content between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, compared with 51 percent of online video viewers who hop on between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekends (well, the worst thing you could probably watch with a hangover is a Fred video).

nielsen_daypart

  1. [...] since then the Fox and NBC joint venture has become the number three video destination in the U.S. according to Nielsen. Perhaps testament to that success, a number of device makers have released set-top boxes [...]

    Share
  2. [...] 9.5B Video Streams in November After a dip in October, the number of overall unique online video viewers rose again in November, according to [...]

    Share
  3. [...] then the Fox and NBC joint venture has become the third biggest video destination in the U.S., according to Nielsen. Perhaps a testament to that success, a number of device makers have released set-top boxes [...]

    Share

Comments have been disabled for this post