6 Comments

Summary:

The Chinese market is set to get more home-grown alternative energy vehicles, with SAIC Motor joining the list of companies that plan to work on hybrid and electric cars in the country. According to Reuters, the automaker will form a joint venture with its state-owned parent, […]

The Chinese market is set to get more home-grown alternative energy vehicles, with SAIC Motor joining the list of companies that plan to work on hybrid and electric cars in the country. According to Reuters, the automaker will form a joint venture with its state-owned parent, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp., which will invest 2 billion yuan ($293 million) to develop the low-emission vehicles.

Chinese electric car and battery maker BYD is also working on electric cars, and the company got a boost from overseas in September when investor Warren Buffett put up $230 million for a 10 percent stake. BYD is expected to start selling its electric vehicles in China next year and in Europe by 2010.

There’s no word on whether SAIC Motor plans to export its hybrid and electric vehicles, but it faces growing competition from more than just BYD for the domestic market alone. Earlier this month, Japan’s Nissan Motor said it had its own plans to pitch an electric car to Chinese consumers. The president of Nissan’s China division said the company will start selling electric cars in the country by 2012, according to Bloomberg.

But all of these upcoming electric cars will need some kind of charging infrastructure to keep them buzzing along, and while Nissan has made deals for charging networks in other countries, no plans have been released from Nissan, BYD or SAIC Motor for a network in China.

Nissan is working with electric car charging startup Better Place via the Renault-Nissan Alliance in Israel, Denmark and Australia, but has not yet made any deals with the startup for its work in China. Better Place also just made its first move in the U.S. market, announcing a deal to set up its system in California.

SAIC Motor isn’t completely new to the cleantech space. Reuters said SAIC Motor rolled out its first locally produced hybrid car in January as part of a venture with General Motors. SAIC Motor and GM teamed up in 1997 to produce Buicks and other GM-brand cars for the Chinese market. SAIC Motor is also aiming to introduce fuel-cell vehicles after 2010.

Shanghai Automotive will hold a 90 percent stake in the new hybrid and electric venture, called Shanghai Jieneng Automotive Technology, with publicly-traded SAIC Motor holding the remaining 10 percent.

You’re subscribed! If you like, you can update your settings

By David Ehrlich

You're subscribed! If you like, you can update your settings

Related stories

  1. “The slight decline in petroleum sales volumes in the third quarter of this year came as no surprise in view of the fuel price increases seen earlier this year,”

  2. DIY Electric Car Guy Wednesday, December 10, 2008

    We wouldn’t want to leave out the DIY electric car users. Some people prefer to convert their existing gasoline driven car to electric. What they need now is more charging station to charge the batteries to extend the vehicle mileage.

  3. China’s Cars to Go (Mostly) Electric Within A Decade, Says Report Tuesday, May 5, 2009

    [...] and consulting firm Frost & Sullivan, that’s part of why China-based Chery, Geely, SAIC and Changan all unveiled alternative fuel cars at the International Auto Exhibition in China last [...]

  4. China’s Cars to Go (Mostly) Electric Within A Decade, Says Report [Earth2Tech] | BYOHosting.com Blogs Tuesday, May 5, 2009

    [...] and consulting firm Frost & Sullivan, that’s part of why China-based Chery, Geely, SAIC and Changan all unveiled alternative fuel cars at the International Auto Exhibition in China last [...]

  5. China’s BYD Eyes SoCal for Its U.S. Electric Car Ambitions Thursday, December 10, 2009

    [...] is a major factor in recent moves by the Chinese government and automakers such as Chery, Geely, SAIC, Changan and BYD to develop plug-in vehicles — the early stage of the market offers an [...]

  6. A123Systems Cozies Up to China’s SAIC for Battery Joint Venture Thursday, December 17, 2009

    [...] Ultimately, A123 hopes this new venture — dubbed Shanghai Advanced Traction Battery Systems Co., or ATBS — will help the company gain a foothold for its lithium-ion battery cells in China. According to this morning’s release, ATBS “will seek to develop business throughout the entire Chinese transportation market and position A123 to strategically gain market share.” The Massachusetts company has a running start: Using cells from A123, ATBS will be the preferential supplier of energy storage systems for all hybrid and electric vehicles manufactured by SAIC, which plans to launch hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of its Roewe sedans. And in 2012, SAIC plans to roll out an all-electric model. [...]

Comments have been disabled for this post