3 Comments

Summary:

And there was much rejoicing! I noted in my Apple TV 2.3 article that the latest Apple update broke boxee, but now the official boxee blog explains that they have got it working again. It took a little longer to get the USB Creator updated to […]

And there was much rejoicing! I noted in my Apple TV 2.3 article that the latest Apple update broke boxee, but now the official boxee blog explains that they have got it working again. It took a little longer to get the USB Creator updated to work with Apple TV 2.3, but you can find the instructions on the boxee blog to make a patchstick installer that makes the whole process as simple as pulling the cord, plugging in the patchstick that you made, plugging the power back in, waiting, and then rebooting.

Some other things to be aware of…

New remote behavior:

  • long “select” switches between now playing and ui
  • long “menu” takes you home
  • back on login screen takes you out

Known caveat: with the update to 2.3, Apple broke a few things, one being the ability of the app to consistently appear in the foreground. Until this is figured out, if you run boxee, and get a black screen, you need to back out of boxee by clicking menu on the remote, and try launching boxee again.

Apparently Scott and Stephan are working on this last bit to kill the black screen bug dead for good.

I like the new features in Apple TV 2.3, but I missed having access to boxee after I upgraded the other day. I’m was having minor issues with boxee and Hulu. Playback gets just a little bit jittery at times. I’m hoping the upcoming releases will help improve this situation.

Also, as a side note on boxee, the boxee team just released the results of a user survey they conducted to determine which media sources to add to boxee next. You can read all about the results on their blog. Personally, I’d be thrilled if they can deliver half of the sources on their list. Pandora on Apple TV would be amazing.

  1. Pandora on AppleTV would put Sonos out of business. The Remote App & some airport expresses would replace 90% of what sonos does. The other 10% can be accomplished by turing on a computer.

    Share
  2. [...] TheAppleBlog Más información: Blog de [...]

    Share
  3. [...] not the regular DVD-by-mail ones. And in Boxee’s ongoing it-works-now-it-doesn’t-now-it’s-back tug-of-war with Apple, the Netflix function does not currently run on the Apple TV hardware. A [...]

    Share

Comments have been disabled for this post