As simultaneously announced on GigaOM and The Apple Blog, Giga Omni Media has acquired The Apple Blog. This adds an entire blog of Apple-specific coverage to our growing network. If you’re keeping score, the GigaOM family of blogs now includes:
- GigaOM, for reporting and analysis of the big stories in Web 2.0, mobile, and other new technology.
- Web Worker Daily, for coverage of the new world of online work.
- NewTeeVee, for everything related to the video revolution.
- Earth2Tech, looking at the intersection of green and technology.
- OStatic, with thorough coverage of open source software and its ramifications.
- jkOnTheRun, covering the world of mobile devices.
- The Apple Blog, for news of all things Apple-related.
Om Malik points out the good fit of this acquisition:
A blog that is closest to our way of thinking turned out to be TheAppleBlog, one that I have been reading for a while. In Josh [Pigford] we found someone who shares the same vision — restraint in editorial and a desire to provide utility for the readers.
The editors of WWD are delighted to welcome The Apple Blog to our growing network. While web workers can be found using any and every operating system on a variety of hardware, a larger-than-average proportion of our readers do use Apple products. Indeed, both of us are using Macs as our primary computers these days.
Having The Apple Blog join our network is the next step in Giga Omni Media’s continuing ability to bring information and analysis across a variety of cutting-edge topics to its readers. You won’t see any huge immediate changes at WWD as a result: we’ll still cover Apple news when we think it has a particular bearing on the challenges facing web workers. But in the weeks and months to come, you’ll see more links between WWD and The Apple Blog, as we use their resources to enhance coverage in their own particular specialty area.
Welcome to the family, Josh!