Since there’s an Apple event (read: new iPods) scheduled for later today, it’s only fitting that Microsoft dropped a Zune press release. There’s new hardware as well as additional software features involved:
- A 16 GB flash-based player and 120 GB hard drive Zune are added to the lineup.
- New pricing effective September 16th
- 4 GB: $129.99
- 8 GB: $149.99
- 16 GB: $199.99
- 80 GB: $229.99
- 120 GB: $249.99
- A "Buy from FM" feature which doesn’t exactly let you "buy from FM", but is interesting. When listening to the FM radio, you can tag a song for purchase. Next time you hit a WiFi hotspot or your home network, the song will be purchased and downloaded.
- Personal Picks in the Zune software: a recommendation algorithm will suggest artists, tracks and albums based on music you’ve listened to.
- Games on the Go: Hexic and Texas Hold ‘Em are included with the new software with more games to come.
- Support for Audible books
- Direct music purchases over WiFi. w00t!