3 Comments

Summary:

Updated: Is it? That’s been the speculation for a long time now, and Sharon Waxman, the former NYT reporter, says that Hollywood Reporter an…

imageUpdated: Is it? That’s been the speculation for a long time now, and Sharon Waxman, the former NYT reporter, says that Hollywood Reporter and the other 41 trade papers in Nielsen Business Media division is up for sale, citing “two solid sources.” If true, this means that both the major Hollywood trades are on the block, with Variety (as part of Reed Business Information) being in the middle of a sale process as well.

THR’s revenues have declined from a $20 million EBITDA to $9 million, and may drop as low as $6 million in the coming year, according to Sharon. Compare this to Variety, which is doing about $100 million in revenues, though not sure of the profits. THR has been cutting positions of late, and retrenched as much as one-third of its 135 strong staff.

NBM has 40 publications, over 135 trade shows and conferences, and 195 digital products and services, and on the media trade side, including THR, Billboard, Backstage, Adweek, Mediaweek, Editor & Publisher and others. The company is denying the unit is on the block…we’ll see how long that official position lasts.

Updated: Besides Nielsen’s official denials, some other insiders are also pooh-poohing the on-sale sign, and the numbers mentioned in the report, including the EBITDA number. Someone put it very nicely to me: “Unless your new friends at the Guardian want to buy us, who out there is this mystery buyer? And why would they bypass Reed to get us?”

You’re subscribed! If you like, you can update your settings

  1. What or who do you suggest fix this? Let's say that you can buy THR for 5* earnings or $45 MM (about what your fair website was sold for) and Variety is sold for 5* $20MM (est) or $100MM. Why wouldn't a savvy investor plunk down $145 – 150 MM for both, slam the audiences together, make it much more real time, strip out the common SG&A;and give the sales teams something to be the "only" buy. I can think of a few PE folks who would like the assets if for nothing other than having "insider" access in Hollywood…can you?

  2. "hollywood" is a two paper town. the business wants it that way and will continue to support both trades because of it.

  3. Hi my name is ilir im from australia im thinking time is running out who ever is reading this email
    Please pay real attention to it I no this must sound crazy but u must some how get in contact with patrick swayze
    Some how ….in regarding his illness I have a cure 4 him well not me personaly but my father is a healer an he is workin
    On patricks illness an will get him better but I need someone to contact him this is really
    Important he must no about this an he must believe in it angels r workin on his body can somone please email me back
    Let me no someone read this email please I really want to help him, this is not about money or propaganda this is a gift from
    God please don’t make him slip away my father can heal him 90% the other 10% once he finds out about it he must no about it
    Someone plz email me on hsvpower@hotmail.com my number is +61-402-415-402 THIS IS REAL IMPORTANT THIS IS NO HOKES patrick is not giving up so arnt we
    I will be waitin 4 an email ……..i beg u please do something try and contact patrick please time is running out this is something to believe
    In my father has healed cancers an much other criticle illneses u must respond to this please for patricks sake ………..thank you….please
    We will heal him please someone respond to this please we heard his out of hospital we healed him we started healing him from 9 jan thats why he went hospital coz the angels went in him plz contact patrick this is so real we will show it to the whole world patrick has a big life ahead of him plz oh he is now healed 70 %%% plz ring him ask him plz this is soooooooo real ….

Comments have been disabled for this post