Not that this wasn’t expected, but Microsoft officially outed Windows Mobile 6.1 today in conjunction with CTIA. Here’s the initial listing of what devices will be getting the upgrade treatment:
- Alltel’s PPC6800 and HTC Touch
- AT&T’s Blackjack II, MOTO Q 9h Global, Pantech Duo and Tilt
- Sprint’s “new Palm Treo” (which I assume to be the 800w), Mogul, Mogul, Touch, MOTO Q 9c and ACE
- T-Mobile’s MDA Ameo 16 GB and MDA Compact IV
- Verizon Wireless: None mentioned. Can you hear me now?
More importantly in the press release is news on the next version of Internet Explorer Mobile, due out by year end:
“The new version of Internet Explorer Mobile adds the ability to easily view full-screen Web pages and multimedia on the Web with a smartphone. By taking advantage of Internet Explorer 6 technologies and supporting established and upcoming industry standards such as H.264, Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight, the updated Internet Explorer Mobile gives people a rich mobile Internet experience.”
Silverlight was expected, but H.264 and Adobe Flash? Interesting… I’m surprised to see support for both Silverlight and Flash, but I think it’s a good move from a consumer point of view.