Have a Smartphone Edition Windows Mobile device and feel left out of the Skype party? Well, get your dancin’ shoes on because your Skype hosts have just invited your device to join in! Skype just released the beta of Skype for Windows Mobile 2.2 and the P2P voice client now supports Smartphone Edition devices, not just Pocket PC Phone Edition.
NEW: Support for Windows Mobile smartphones and more Pocket PC devices;
NEW: Enhanced today/home screen: presence status, event notification (missed calls, new chat messages and voicemails);
NEW: Proxy support: Supports regular HTTP or HTTPS proxies, and authenticating HTTPS/SSL and SOCKS5 proxies
* Skype calling features: Free Skype-to-Skype calls, support for SkypeOut, SkypeIn™, voicemail and call forwarding;
* User-friendly look and feel: As easy and familiar as using Skype on a computer;
* One-click Skype access: A Skype icon on the home screen lets users view and call contacts easily;
* Multi-person chat: Users can have multichat sessions using animated emoticons. When mobile users are offline, chat messages will automatically update the next time user logs in;
* Enhanced contact list: Users can see their contacts avatars and mood messages;
* Profile personalization: Users can take a picture with the camera on their mobile device and immediately update their profile.
There are more photos of enhancements and informational screens after the jump courtesy of Dave Zatz, who just installed the beta on his PPC-6700 and tipped us off about the Skype forum post. If you’ve got a Motorola Q, Cingular BlackJack, T-Mobile Dash or other Smartphone Edition device, give the download a whirl for some free VoIP and IM from Skype! If there was one "wish list" item I could add to the next version of the mobile client it would be: allow usage of the standard earpiece speaker as opposed to forcing all audio through the external speaker. Maybe next time?