Word got out early this morning that the Motorola Q was hitting the streets as early as May 31st. MobilitySite dropped the press release this morning and has all of the details. Quick summary:
- Availability through Verizon’s site on May 31st.
- Availability in Verizon retails stores nationwide in June.
- The Q will cost $199 with a qualifying data and voice-plan and combined with a $100 instant credit for a 2-year agreement.
Full press release follows.
MOTOROLA AND VERIZON WIRELESS ANNOUNCE THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED MOTO Q
The World’s Thinnest QWERTY Device Delivers Email, Entertainment and Seamless Mobility in One Ultra-Thin Package
BEDMINSTER, NJ and SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – 22 May 2006 – Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) and Verizon Wireless, the nation’s leading wireless service provider, today announced that the highly anticipated Moto Q™ will be available starting on May 31. The Moto Q is exclusively available through Verizon Wireless and customers can purchase it online at http://www.verizonwireless.com on May 31 or at any Verizon Wireless Communications Store on June 5.
Perfect for customers who multi-task and want flexibility in today’s fast-paced business environment, the Moto Q’s style and phone-first mantra is built upon the design revolution created by the Motorola RAZR™ – the best-selling clamshell handset in the world. The Moto Q – which runs Microsoft Windows Mobile® 5.0 software – delivers an uncompromising mobile experience in an all-in-one handheld device that combines the reliability of a great phone, personal productivity capabilities, powerful enterprise connectivity and entertainment in a thin and stylish form factor. The Moto Q also utilizes Verizon Wireless’ BroadbandAccess network – the nation’s most award-winning wireless broadband network –—– to send and receive data.
“The Moto Q is a real must-have device that enables true seamless mobility by liberating all of us from the restraints of our offices and living rooms,” said Ed Zander, chief executive officer of Motorola, Inc. “On Verizon Wireless’ broadband EV-DO network, the Moto Q brings together all of the converged solutions you need to work, stay in touch or have fun. With the best voice, data and design technology in one ultra-thin, intelligent, hard-working device, the Moto Q allows you to be productive and entertained wherever you go.”
The Moto Q will redefine what customers expect from a QWERTY handheld. With Windows Mobile® software, the Moto Q puts a “mini notebook” in Verizon Wireless customers’ pockets by providing enough power to let them leave their laptop at home to check email*, review presentations, documents, and stay connected for a week or a weekend. Couple that with its “cool enough for Friday night” design, multiple entertainment options and simple, intuitive features, and the Moto Q will help Verizon Wireless customers stay productive, creative and in-touch while on the go and however they choose.
Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, said, “Enterprise technology, consumer electronics and mobile are converging to create major productivity advantages for the work world. But those advantages have only been available to a select few – until now. The Moto Q offers power, style and ease-of-use in a cool ultra-thin format, giving Verizon Wireless customers an uncompromising experience in one device.”
The Moto Q also makes good business sense for companies – big and small – providing a converged mobility solution to help organizations improve their business, increase productivity and efficiency and enhance customer satisfaction. Features of the Moto Q from Verizon Wireless include:
“The Moto Q is amazing,” said Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft Corp. “It blends stylish design and fast network speeds with Microsoft’s powerful Windows Mobile software, empowering people to be mobile without concessions.”
For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com/q.
The Moto Q – coupled with the nation’s most reliable wireless network from Verizon Wireless – delivers what Verizon Wireless customers want most: an exceptional device for making voice calls. Plus, the Moto Q provides the advanced phone capabilities expected in an industry-leading phone, such as voice-activated dialing, smart contacts dialing, speakerphone, Bluetooth** capabilities for certain profiles and more.
Entertainment in Your Pocket
The Moto Q offers a portfolio of entertainment capabilities ranging from stereo music and video playback to Web browsing and instant messaging. This unique device allows customers to be entertained when they want. With an amazing color screen, wireless broadband capabilities and a full media experience with Windows Media Player Mobile, the Moto Q’s entertainment possibilities are unlimited.
Optimized for a variety of corporate and personal email technologies, the Moto Q’s form factor and QWERTY keyboard let Verizon Wireless customers easily create and manage corporate and personal email. The addition of Wireless Sync from Verizon Wireless helps make life on-the-go easier and more productive. With always-on email, customers can stay connected and get the job done while away from the office – without a delay and in a secure environment. With Windows Mobile software, the Moto Q also offers corporate mobile messaging support out of the box with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. For additional wireless access to Exchange and other servers, Good Technologies™ is offering an optimized version of its Good Link email solution for the Moto Q. The Moto Q also offers easy access to personal email based on POP3, web mail and Hotmail™.
The Moto Q is available exclusively through Verizon Wireless. Customers may purchase the Moto Q for $199.99 after a $100 instant credit when purchased with a qualified Verizon Wireless voice and data plan and two-year customer agreement. Customers can choose from three calling plans that include voice calling and unlimited data access with Verizon Wireless’ BroadbandAccess service:
- $169.99 a month – includes 4,000 anytime minutes with unlimited data usage*, unlimited IN calling and unlimited nights and weekends ($0.25 per minute after allowance).
- $109.99 monthly access – includes 1,350 anytime minutes with unlimited data usage*, unlimited IN calling and unlimited nights and weekends ($0.35 per minute after allowance).
- $79.99 monthly access – includes 450 anytime minutes with unlimited data usage*, unlimited IN calling and unlimited nights and weekends ($0.45 per minute after allowance).
*Unlimited data usage for Internet browsing, email and intranet access within the National Enhanced Services Rate & Coverage Area
- Integrated Bluetooth® 1.2 wireless technology** for communicating with compatible headsets, car kits and certain other devices equipped with Bluetooth technology.
- EV-DO access for fast downloads of data, email and large attachments
- Wireless Sync for anytime connectivity with e-mail, calendar and contacts synchronization
- Thinnest QWERTY device in the world – 11.5mm includes a familiar thumbwheel to enhance the navigation experience
- Seamless access to corporate applications, messaging, organizational tools and IT support, from across the campus and around the world
- Synchronization with e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks entries, regardless of platform or ISP
- Integrated with Windows Mobile® 5.0 software for the convenience of users and IT with access to Yahoo!, Hotmail and other POP3
- All standard desktop document views supported including: Microsoft Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Adobe Acrobat®, etc.
- Supports audio and video formats
- Dual, stereo-quality speakers
- Easy integration with existing IT systems for enhanced IT support
- Enabled for leading corporate e-mail solutions
- Flexibility enables loading of standard corporate VPN
- Password authentication helps ensure network integrity