In the US, ethnic mobile media is fast catching up and is even going neck to neck with the music from the big record labels. Apparently BHANGRA music is performing like its cultural counterpart HIP HOP, both genres dominating their respective South Asian American and overall American charts. A popular Indian mobile music site Masttones has reported close to a 30 per cent increase in monthly sales in 2005 compared to 2004.
Here is the he first-ever, South Asian American ringtone popularity trends prepared by Masttones, a mobile music site owned by eMbience Inc., a leading developer and publisher of wireless software. Many of the artists in the top 10 aren’t even signed up with U.S. labels nor do they have proper distribution deals.
Top Selling U.S. Ringtones
1. 2 Dons and a B*tch / Sandeep Chowta
2. Dil Luteya / Jazzy B
3. Aim So High / Kami K.
4. Boom Shackalak / Apache Indian
5. 2K3 Nagina Remix / Labh Junjua ft. Metz and Trix
6. Aa Dil Kya Mehfil / Kishore Kumar
7. Aag Lag Jau / Sukshinder Shinda
8. Another One Bites The Dust / Queen
9. P.I.M.P. / 50 Cent
10. Hollaback Girl / Gwen Stefani
11. Ghostbusters / Ray Parker Jr.
12. Baby Baby / Sunidhi Chauhan
13. Belly Dancer / First Light
14. Thank You / Dido
15. Kal Ho Naa Ho / Sonu Nigam
16. Lose My Breath / Destiny-¹s Child
17. Lose Yourself / Eminem
18. Feel Good Inc. / Gorillaz
19. Kaho na Kaho / Amir Jamal
20. Raja Pica / Sunidhi Chauhan