The Business 2.0 story is now online. Profile of Rob Glaser and his ambitions with RNWK. A few noteworthy points:
– The story touches on Glaser close connections with Baseball and how the subscription service owes a lot to the sport.
– Gross margins on the subscription business are a fat 59 percent, nearly twice those at the best-run cable companies.
– On his music service: “We have the opportunity to take the brand to the level of MTV.”
– Exclusivity might be a problem for RNWK in the future: MLB Advanced Media CEO Bob Bowman says he’s now negotiating with Yahoo and AOL.
– Microsoft is slowly and surely getting into the market with subscription offerings, and a new paid content offering will be coming from Microsoft “almost every quarter for the next four to six quarters.”
– The non-ego advantage: The key advantage to not being a portal, Glaser argues, is that Real is happy to give its partners’ brands top billing.